Helen has over 20 years’ teaching experience in colleges, schools and in the community. She feels privileged to teach many different people of all ages and backgrounds, in a variety of subjects. Whatever the subject, whoever the person, her intention has always been the same; to enable everyone to find their unique path in life in a way that allows them to enjoy the journey. Even if our aspirations, dreams and goals are very different, the cornerstone of learning is well being. Stress can often get in the way of feeling okay in ourselves. We all share a similar essence of being human and we need to feel settled inside to be able to learn and to feel like we are truly living.
Whilst studying for an MA in Education, Helen did some research with teenage learners to explore her belief that – “if people are stressed, they can’t learn effectively”. She introduced some simple mindfulness techniques into her classroom and found that students’ emotional well-being, achievement rates and ability to stay on task, improved. From here, Helen has trained to teach a variety of mindfulness based stress reduction approaches through Bangor University Centre for Mindfulness, Research and Practice (CMRP) and through Mindfulness in Schools Project (MiSP). Her own mindfulness practice continues to support her with managing stress and balancing being a mum and a teacher!
There are mindfulness courses available for children and adults and all of them share the same gentle aim; to improve well-being through learning a mindful approach to life. Helen teaches in a nurturing and enjoyable way as she places great value on the importance of creating calm and effective learning environments where participants feel supported and safe, but can have fun too.
Helen is trained to offer mindfulness supervision and mentoring to newly qualified or trainee mindfulness teachers.
Education And Training
- 1992 – BsocSci Social Policy (2:1 Hons), University of Birmingham
- 1996 – PGCE (PCET) University of Greenwich
- 2009 MA in Education, post-graduate diploma in Mentoring, University of Wolverhampton
- 2011 – RelaxKids certified coach (preschool – secondary), Relaxkids.com
- 2013 – Teaching Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) to adults, Bangor University CMRP
- 2013 – 2015 Teach .b mindfulness (teenagers and young people), Teach .bFoundations (staff in schools and colleges), Teach Paws b mindfulness (for 7-11 year olds), Mindfulness in Schools Project
- 2016 – Trained to deliver mindfulness supervision and mentoring, Bangor University CMRP
- 2018 – Competency-accessed Advanced level mindfulness teacher, Bangor University CMRP
Helen has been practising meditation and yoga since her 20s and has an established daily mindfulness practice.
Helen is listed on the UK Network of Mindfulness-Based Teacher Trainers, adhering to their Good Practice Guidance for Teaching Mindfulness-Based Courses.
Helen is supervised by an Accredited Supervisor through mindfulness-network.org and Bangor University Centre for Mindfulness and Practice.